Thursday, April 8

Why hello thar!

Okay! So, after spending more time than I expected getting this blog set up how I like it (isn't it purdy?) I'm off to get some more work done.

Right now, I'm working on (yet another) new idea, and, surprisingly, it is not millinery!

We've taken to calling these "Oh! Be Square" belts, as a bad pun - they're obi belts (Western name for wide belts, I know, I have a beef with calling them obi belts as well, but I can't single-handedly change that) that are made from vintage kimono fabrics :D

So, technically, they're obi obi belts (especially once I work up the nerve to cut into some of my actual obi).
Or obi2.
Or, Oh! Be Square.

See, we're witty.

The original "test" was made from vintage kimono fabric, and then, I decided to applique some kimono scrap to another one (they take a lot of fabric, and I don't have very much of some of the kimono silks I've hoarded), and then, I decided to test out my newly-fixed embroidery machine by embroidering a traditional mon, or crest, design onto one of these belts...

It all looked so good, I've been going crazy digitizing more crests to put on them :D I'm hoping to have about 5 of these to post soon, but I thought what's a better way to start off a blog about what I'm working on than to give you a few sneak-peaks on them from my webcam!

 

This one is made from vintage kimono fabric (not silk, though it's hard to tell it's polyester) and was the original trial for these. You can't quite tell, because webcams = weird, but there is a butterfly woven into the fabric :3



And a couple of shots of me wearing one of the obi obi belts, the first I've embroidered with a traditional mon (crest)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nevermind. I'm a dumbass. :)

Unknown said...

Hey, you.

I think the name is adorable, but I'd definitely like to see a picture of the belt too. (Squared.)

;)

Sam // Taeliac said...

@Elizabeth

Hehe, I was learning how to use the cuts for keeping things... shorter - you know how I ramble on! Trying to keep that under some control ;P

(and it feels weird typing "Elizabeth" XP)

Kellin said...

Hey you! Absolutely love the new blog. The old one was fun, but this is really nice. The layout looks great for posting photos especially. You're awesome!

Sam // Taeliac said...

@Kellin

Yes! I like this one, too - it's cleaner, and easier to moderate and update - the picture uploading is a little bit of a pain in the butt, but that's okay, I can deal with it easily :D

And, you're awesome!