Tuesday, October 19

Going with your gut

Yesterday, I just felt the need to create something new. I get this urge on a regular basis, but I had an idea that simply wouldn't go away.

I have this fascination with working with squares to create interesting pieces. I think they're oft overlooked in pattern making, due to harsh corners and the like. Either that, or they are very stark, geometric things with pointy corners that scream "I will hurt you!" or somesuch.

I love taking squares, and finding ways to soften them, but still keep the simplicity of angles and shapes in them. I am discovering, over time, that I really am a designer that likes things to be elegant, but look simple, until you really look at it (if that makes much sense).

I am also kind of a minimalist. I absolutely adore ruffles, don't get me wrong, but they seem to never find a home in my designs unless it is specifically "girly" or "frilly." Those designs that I think represent me, as myself, at a given time, tend to be ruffle-less, or detail-less. I'm not sure why, but it may have something to do with this perception that adding those "details over the top" is just a way to hide shoddy construction (this is probably due to one instructor in college who thought that that was truly the solution to any problem for a stage production, which, if you can guess, I didn't get along with very well...).

However, I do not agree with that philosophy. I don't like "hiding" things and hoping that they look okay. If something is not done correctly, I will rip it up and redo it. Hiding is not an option. Now, I know not everyone who does that is trying to hide a mistake, and I am sorry if that is what it comes off as. It is just a personal thing, something I do not like.

And something that surprises me is that I have just come to that realization. I actually am developing, at this time, a "design voice" of my own. I have heard fashion students talk about their "voice" before, and usually just kind of laugh it off - to be honest, most of the time I see those as knock-offs on something else, or really not very original. However, I am starting to understand that. See, my education focused on the construction, patternmaking, and all the other details that go into creation, not the designs. The designs are something given to you by the Costume Designer - your job is to realize the designs, not critique them, not impose your own ideas on them, unless it is the only way to actually take that drawing (and usually a very sloppy drawing at that) and make it as a garment.

It is interesting, then, when I found myself yesterday playing with a skirt idea I had, and just... thinking critically about it. Not from a "does this match the original design" critical thinking, which I am very good at and very used to doing, but more from a "is this me?" angle, which is something very new still.

I spent about an hour playing with the drape of one side of the skirt, just trying to get it right. The back had already dictated the design (which was absolutely nothing like I had originally envisioned when I started) and the front needed to compliment it. The back was totally what I think of when I think of "Sam" or "Taeliac" but the front needed something.

Well, long story short, I redid it many, many times, and it was worth it to explore, however, the first one that I truly liked, I wound up marking the placement with safety pins, and it was what wound up being the one I was most satisfied with.

So. When designing, play around. Experiment. But, let your gut tell you what is truly you. Don't be afraid to rip it out, play some more, but if nothing avails, come back to that 'gut' moment, and take a step back. It seems to be your gut telling you that this is you, and go with it.


I do hope that made sense, too. Rambling away and all ;P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"So. When designing, play around. Experiment. But, let your gut tell you what is truly you. Don't be afraid to rip it out, play some more, but if nothing avails, come back to that 'gut' moment, and take a step back. It seems to be your gut telling you that this is you, and go with it."

Amen, Sam!