Thursday, May 27

Lily Jewelry

You remember that post, a few back? Where I said I was freaking out over getting inspiration at the weirdest times? Well, here are the results of that burst of inspiration : Lilies!


Each of these lilies are made from leather (and, for a few others, they have accents in snakeskin), off of a pattern that was a *poof* of inspiration, took about five tries to get right, and I've been going crazy with.

So, in some of those pictures, I am wearing a necklace of lilies (one or two) and matching earrings (which I thought I would not do, until my wonderful husband Chris convinced me to try for the heck of it). There are also some hair bits - I only have pictures of the bobby pins, but I've also started putting some on headbands that look really beautiful as well.

I love leather - I have no compunctions about using animal products (although I do understand people who do have an aversion to things of that nature as well) and actually prefer to do so. They are amazing materials, IMO, and too often overlooked in both costume-land and jewelry making. Not to mention, it gives me something more to do with all of the scraps I have left over from corset-work, since some of the leathers I have are just too absolutely beautiful to throw away (beautiful browns, and blues, and an amazing few hides of green doe-suede that I still don't know what else to do with, but I sit and adore whenever I can...)

I'm even contemplating cutting up my super amazing stingray hide to make myself a piece of this jewelry, but I can't quite convince myself to do it (yet), since I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to find another one~

3 comments:

Amelia Schultz said...

Very nice, Sam! I din't know you were doing jewelry now, too!

Keep it up! ^_^

Anonymous said...

Stingray hide: Go for it. Make at least one of these lilies with it. This is too elegant an idea for the stingray to not join in the fun!!

How much will you ask for these on your Etsy? <3

Sam // Taeliac said...

@Geekomancer Heck yeah - it was supposed to be a "distraction" (i.e. something "fun") to do at night, between sewing projects, and rapidly got out of hand... jewelry making is fun, now XP

@Kagitsune I think I just may have to cut up that hide :D I've just been hoping to find another one or two, because they were really common for a while, and now no where can get them in stock >_<

And, I'm keeping them as cheap as possible - most of them will be around $20 or under, while some of the necklaces will be a bit more, but nothing planned over $30!